Wednesday, March 18, 2015

From the Pedro Binder



2005 Topps Opening Day

Since I bought my first blaster of 2015 Topps Opening Day this afternoon, this seemed like a good card to look at today. Of course, any review of Opening Day cards has to start with the base set. Many years, including 2005 (and 2015, for that matter) the only difference between the base and the Opening Day is an extra logo. Sometimes they use different pictures too. I don’t know if that was the case for this card, or not. But, since I haven’t talked about the regular 2005 Topps card yet, let’s jump right into it.

I bet you know my big problem with the design. Why do I need to turn my head in order to read Pedro’s name? How annoying is that? But, that’s not even the worst part. The Red Sox name? It’s turned the complete opposite way? So, in order to get all the information, I need to twist my wrist this way and that. I’ll get carpal tunnel by the time I’m done flipping through a team set. Sure, the team name is also right there on the bottom of the card. But, if I’m supposed to get my information from there, why is the team name on the side at all? To take up space? Likewise, Pedro’s last name it sitting in big letter at the top of the card. But, it’s just a last name. Again, that’s obviously not enough, or they wouldn’t have put the name on the side too.

I like the rest of the card. The crisscrossing stripes add something subtle to the design. You might not even notice that the bands cross unless you really look at it. But, it just seems more pleasing that way.

The photo is a standard shot of Pedro ready to fire away. I love the look of concentration.

I also love the big photo. It could be bigger if Topps didn’t put all the information on the card twice. But, it’s still a significant portion of the card.

Overall, it’s a design that works for me.


Glad they got to use it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week